Beautiful structures are all around us today. From gigantic buildings, modern homes to expansive offices – all these structures now define development and growth. It also takes a lot of time, effort, and resources to build these structures. If you are in the construction industry or have been a part of the building process at any stage, you would know that the most crucial part of any structure is its foundation. These modern marvels cannot be sustained over long periods of time if the raw materials used are of sub-par quality. This is especially true of a key raw material – TMT bars. TMT Bars – The Foundation For Strong Structures Thermo Mechanically Treated bars, also known as reinforcing bars, have become immensely popular in the construction industry. These bars lend strength and protection to concrete structures. Offering flexibility and durability, these bars are thus easy to use in all forms of construction activities. So much so that today TMT bars have become almost indispensable to modern-day building activities. TMT Bars – The Fear of Corrosion and Rusting. Yet, just like any material, TMT bars also require some upkeep and protection. Most builders usually have concerns regarding corrosion leading to rusting in TMT bars. It’s understandable since corrosion can impact the strength and durability of TMT bars. Both of which are factors that, when compromised upon, can lead to damage to structures. These concerns can be mitigated when builders adopt some ‘healthy practices’ that protect these bars from damage and improve their durability. If you are someone who is involved in the purchase or use of TMT bars, then the best practices covered in the next section are a must-read for you. TMT Bars – Corrosion Behaviors and Best Practices. To understand the process of rusting in TMT bars, it’s important to understand the raw materials that are used in making these bars. The core raw material used in the construction of TMT bars is Iron Ore. Iron as a metal is known for its highly corrosive nature. While measures are taken during the manufacturing of TMT bars to make them anti-corrosive, rusting is still likely. When moisture or other impurities in the air come in contact with these bars, it can lead the bars to breakdown down to their initial stage of iron oxide. As mentioned, the best TMT in India is those that have protective layers on the bars to guard them against rust. Here are some precautionary steps you can also take to ensure TMT bars experience minimal rusting.
- When storing TMT bars, make sure they are kept in a safe and dry place. This will protect them from corrosion. It’s still recommended that you utilize TMT bars at the earliest and avoid storing them for long periods.
- If storage over long periods is required, then you can keep TMT bars in temperature-controlled areas. These can be areas where humidity is regulated with technology and offers enough ventilation. All these internal regulations will ensure that external factors cause minimal damage to the bars.
- Not only do you need to protect the bars from environmental damage but also from physical damage. Stacking these bars or piling them can cause harm to the TMT bars. The best practice is not to store bars horizontally on the floor. If stored in this way, the bars become prone to accumulation of dust and moisture.
- Make sure that the bars are not stored near or around chemical substances.
- While cleaning TMT bars, use a dry cloth. Using oil, grease or water can make it more prone to corrosion or rusting.
Read More: The best TMT bars manufacturer in India
Know about corrosion behaviors of TMT bars