Table of Content
Stainless steel forms the backbone of many industries today. This is because stainless steel has several exceptional properties like immense strength, durability, and resistance to corrosion which makes it invaluable across different industrial sectors. People involved in industries that use stainless steel know that several grades of alloy are available in the market. One of the most important among them is the 17-4 PH stainless steel that stands out for its unique properties and wide range of applications.
Sree Metaliks Limited is one of the largest and most reliable suppliers of 17-4 PH stainless steel in the country. Let us take you through the composition, properties, and uses of Sree Metaliks Limited’s 17-4 PH stainless steel.
What is 17-4 PH Stainless Steel?
17-4 PH stainless steel is martensitic stainless steel composed primarily of 17% chromium, 4% copper, 4% nickel, and some other elements such as silicon, tantalum, and manganese. The ‘PH’ in this grade of steel stands for ‘precipitation hardening.’ The unique 17-4 PH chemical composition imbues this grade of steel with excellent mechanical properties such as strength, corrosion resistance, and durability.
Let us discuss the 17-4 PH material properties in brief:
- Corrosion Resistance: 17-4 PH stainless steel is highly resistant to corrosion in several environments including freshwater, mild atmospheres, and moderately corrosive chemicals. Its corrosion resistance can be further enhanced through the addition of certain coatings.
- Strength: 17-4 PH stainless steel exhibits remarkable strength and hardness, enabling it to serve several industries that require robust performance. This grade of steel can be heat-treated to attain different levels of hardness, ranging from H900 (high strength and hardness) to H1150 (lower strength and increased toughness).
- Fabrication and Machinability: It is relatively simpler to machine and fabricates 17-4 PH stainless steel. The 17-4 PH stainless steel can easily be welded using prevalent techniques and is known for its excellent pliability. However, it is important to note that machining this grade of steel may be more challenging compared to the traditional stainless steel grades because of its high strength.
Where is 17-4 PH Stainless Steel Generally Used?
17-4 PH stainless steel applications are far and few. It is a versatile raw material amenable to use in several industries. Some of the most common applications of 17-4 PH stainless steel are as follows—
- Industrial Equipment: This grade of stainless steel is pervasively used in the production of several industrial equipments including shafts, pumps, gears, and manufacturing tools. This is because of the capacity of this stainless steel to withstand heavy loads, maintain dimensional stability under extreme conditions, and its corrosion resistance property.
- Oil and Gas: 17-4 PH stainless steel is used in the making of several components in the oil and gas industry too. These include fasteners, drilling equipment, valve bodies, and offshore platform structures. The strength, toughness, and corrosion resistance of this grade of steel makes it most suitable for use in this industrial sector.
- Pharmaceutical and Medical: The medical and pharmaceutical industries benefit from the 17-4 PH material properties in the production of dental equipment, orthopaedic implants, and surgical instruments.
- Defence and Aerospace: This variety of steel is also widely used in the defence and aerospace sectors. It is found in missile components, shafts, aircraft fittings, gears, and structural parts.
17-4 PH stainless steel is therefore a remarkable innovation in the steel industry that has benefited several other industrial sectors. Its unique amalgamation of corrosion resistance, strength, durability, and excellent mechanical properties make it amenable to varied industrial usage. From medical equipment, and oil and gas, to aerospace and defence, 17-4 PH stainless steel has proven its worth in several demanding environments.
The versatility of this grade of stainless steel lies in its capacity to be heat-treated, offering varying levels of hardness and density of 17-4 PH stainless steel as per application requirements.
However, there is one limitation of 17-4 PH stainless steel and that is its inability to withstand highly corrosive environments. Nevertheless, its ubiquity as a high-performing raw material across industries will ensure that it remains a valuable asset in the years to come.
Sree Metaliks Limited’s 17-4 PH Stainless Steel – Highest Quality Guaranteed!
With the expansion of technology and the industrial sector, effective raw materials like 17-4 PH stainless steel will continue to be in heavy demand. Sree Metaliks Limited is one of the oldest and most reliable names in the market for high-quality 17-4 PH stainless steel including the 17-4 PH stainless steel round bar.
The company combines painstaking research, the vision of experts, and the latest technology in the production of 17-4 PH stainless steel to provide customers with the very best. When you buy from Sree Metaliks Limited, you can rest assured that each of the products is manufactured to meet industrial standards. Give your business the strength of steel with Sree Metaliks Limited’s highest quality 17-4 PH stainless steel!
If you wish to know more about 17-4 PH stainless steel based on the requirements of a specific application or want to request a quote, please feel free to contact the customer service of Sree Metaliks Limited today by visiting the website!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this variety of steel is magnetic owing to its martensitic structure, which may endow it with ferromagnetic properties.
Yes, one of the best features of 17-4 PH stainless steel is that it can be heat-treated. 17-4 PH stainless steel is often heat-treated to achieve different levels of hardness and mechanical properties for varying uses.
17-4 PH stainless steel is a versatile raw material with several excellent properties. However, the one limitation of this grade of stainless steel that may be noted is that it may be unsuited for applications requiring extreme resistance to corrosion owing to acids or chloride reactions.