Updated on February 8th, 2023
The world around is abundant in minerals and resources. Some help us survive, while others help us thrive as a civilisation. Iron Ore is one such mineral. India is rich in Iron Ore deposits and is the fourth-largest producer of iron ore globally. This abundance helps in creating several products and by-products that are extensively used in the construction process. Sree Metaliks Limited is an iron ore supplier in India offering a range of iron ore products. This iron ore is sourced from their own captive mines at Khanbandh and integrated manufacturing units in Rugudi and Anra (Keonjhar).
Let’s understand more about the products sourced from Iron Ore.
1. Iron Billet
- Billets are produced by melting iron ore or scrap iron.
- This method is known as the Bessemer process and was first introduced in the 19th century.
- These can be produced by the casting method or rolled directly. Billets are characterised by their unique square cross-sectional design.
- Billets at Sree Metaliks Limited are available in a range of dimensions from 100/100, 125/125 to 160/160 sizes, depending on one’s need.
2. Sponge Iron
- Sponge iron is formed by a natural reduction process, which is also known as direct-reduced iron (DRI).
- In this process, iron ore is heated with carbon, and this reaction leads to holes forming on the surface of the ore. Hence the name sponge Iron.
- This method was adopted to combat the problems of the blast-furnace method. DRI adopts coal-based systems.
- Sree Metaliks Limited is the largest producer of sponge iron in India. This production of steel iron is overseen by experts leading to high-quality products.
3. Pig Iron
- This product of Iron Ore is produced with the smelting of iron ore in blast furnaces. Alternatively, it can also be produced by smelting limonite in an electric furnace.
- Pig Iron is usually produced in integrated steel mills and is consumed in the production of other metals.
- Merchant pig iron is commercially sold to third parties. This form of pig iron is cast into ingots and used in the making of steel and ferrous casting.
- At Sree Metaliks Limited, pig iron is manufactured at their native mini blast furnace. The process is meticulously carried out to ensure the high-quality production of pig iron.
4. Iron Pellets
- Pellets are formed when iron ore goes through a process called pelletization.
- In this process, Iron ore is formed into little lumps with the help of fuel.
- These pellets are essential in the production of steel via the blast furnace method.
- Since pellets are extensively used in the production of steel, they need to be of good grade and have a precise tumbler index of pellet. Sree Metaliks Limited is a brand that’s considered one of the best iron ore pellet manufacturers in Odisha.
- This is one iron ore product we are all most familiar with. From buildings to kitchenware, steel has made its way into the very heart of development.
- So it’s not surprising that 98% of iron ore is used in the production of steel. The process used in the production of steel from iron ore and coal is known as the blast furnace method.
- This steel is then converted to TMT bars, which are used in construction activities.
These products of iron ore tell us of the many utilities of this single natural resource. All of these products are indispensable to the construction process. This is why iron ore suppliers in India, like Sree Metaliks Limited, make heavy investments in all parts of the production process – from mining, processing to distribution. This investment in manpower, experts, and technology has made Sree Metaliks Limited a pioneer in the supply of iron ore and its many products. Since 1995, the brand has made progress by maintaining the quality of all products while keeping them cost-effective. If you are on the lookout for any products of iron ore, then look no further than Sree Metaliks Limited.
Read More : Applications of Iron Ore Pellets