The Great Wall of China, the Taj Mahal, and The Colosseum are considered to be the wonders of the world. These humungous structures were built years ago using natural materials with construction time spanning over the years.
Why is this relevant for modern humans to know about given today’s context?
The reason is clear – construction since then has evolved. From materials to tools – technology has transformed the way we build. It is due to these advancements that we are able to build large-scale projects in short periods. This evolution has continued even today. To understand this, ask yourself if you have heard of HYSD bars or TMT bars?
HYDS bars & TMT Bars – What Makes These Different From Each Other?
To the above question, the thought for most people is, “what are HYSD bars”? While most of us have heard of or used TMT bars, HYSD bars remain a distant term.
Let’s understand what are HYSD bars and how they differ from TMT bars
● HYSD stands for High Yielding Strength Deformed – the word ‘deformed’ also gives us a peek into its unique manufacturing process.
● These bars are manufactured using heat treatment. This is similar to the manufacturing process of TMT bars (Thermo Mechanically Treated), which also use heat treatment.
The similarity, though, ends here.
● TMT bars are cooled using water, whereas HYSD bars follow a different process. HYSD bars are heat-rolled or cold twisted, post-heating to give them their strength and structure.
● Earlier, mild steel bars were used in construction, but these bars failed to deliver
strength or durability to structures.
● HYSD gained popularity as an alternative to these steel bars. Its characteristics of weldability, residual stress, and corrosion resistance made it a popular pick.
Yet even HYSD bars had their problems.
● The cold twisting method used to make these bars affected the structural strength of the bars. This impacted the safety of the building.
● To overcome this problem, builders started using TMT bars, which offered superior strength.
This alone is not the reason why TMT bars have successfully replaced HYSD bars. In the next section, we will tell you why TMT bars are superior to HYSD bars.
Why TMT Bars Are Safer Than HYSD Bars for Use In Construction?
Core Strength – TMT bars have no surface deformities, unlike HYSD bars. This keeps their core strength. This is precisely the reason why TMT bars bond strongly with concrete and ensure the safety of the structure.
Corrosion Resistance – TMT bars undergo water quenching and tempering during the manufacturing process. This makes TMT bars highly resistant to corrosion, a quality that HYSD bars cannot match. For instance, HYSD bars cannot be used in the construction of homes in humid or cyclone-prone areas. TMT bars, on the other hand, can be used in almost all geographical locations.
Earthquake Resistant – TMT bars have the ability to withstand sudden heavy loads owning to its high tensile strength and flexibility. This quality makes it perfect for use in seismic zones where buildings need an extra layer of protection against earthquakes. HYSD bars don’t have the ability to handle strong vibrations and thus compromise the safety of the structure. Extensive studies have also shown TMT bars to display higher fire resistance than TMT bars.
Durable – TMT bars improve the longevity of buildings. This is a necessity considering the wear and tear modern buildings undergo. HYSD bars don’t offer this longevity since they have a higher carbon intake and higher residual stress. This can cause structural changes that reduce longevity.
Sree Metaliks Limited – A Trusted Name In The World of TMT bars.
Apart from the above benefits, TMT bars are also cost-effective. If you see the TMT bar price list offered by Sree Metaliks Limited, the TMT price per kg is competitive and, in cases, even lower than those offered by other manufacturers. Don’t take out word for it, head to Sree Metaliks Limited to see for yourself the reasonable TMT rod price offered by the brand. If TMT price is a concern for you, then Sree Metaliks Limited has you covered with cost-effective, durable, and high-quality TMT bars.